Does Minnesota have state overtime laws that are different from federal law?

Under Minnesota law, employees are entitled to overtime pay at one and one-half times their normal hourly rate for all hours worked in excess of 48 hours per work week.

Some employees are exempt from Minnesota’s overtime wages. The following is a partial list:

Does Minnesota have a minimum wage that is different from federal law?

The current minimum wage in Minnesota is $9.86 an hour for “large employers” (any enterprise whose annual gross volume of sales made or business done is greater than $500,000), and $8.04 an hour for “small employers” (annual gross volume of sales made or business done is less than $500,000). Both of these are higher than the federal minimum wage of $7.25. An employer may pay $8.04 an hour (training wage) to new employees who are younger than age 20 during their first 90 consecutive days of employment. Permanent or current employees may not be displaced by new employees covered by the training wage. 

Some employees are exempt from Minnesota’s minimum wage. The following is a partial list:

Do any cities or counties in Minnesota have a minimum wage that is different from state or federal law?

Minneapolis, Minnesota has a minimum wage of $11.25 per hour for large employers (who have more than 100 employees), and a minimum wage of $10.25 for small employers (who have 100 or fewer employees), effective July 1, 2018. These rates change to $12.25 for large employers and $11.00 for small employers in July 2019. Minneapolis has planned increases to the minimum wage for July 1 every year through 2022, and then increases will account for inflation. This law does not apply to St. Paul.

Does Minnesota have meal and rest break requirements, unlike federal law?

The state law requires employers to provide restroom time and sufficient time to eat a meal. If the break is less than 20 minutes in duration, it must be counted as hours worked. Time to use the nearest restroom must be provided within each four consecutive hours of work. Meal time applies to employees who work eight or more consecutive hours. Otherwise, rest breaks are not required.

How do I file a wage/hour or labor standards claim in Minnesota?

Minnesota’s Department of Labor and Industry (DLI), Labor Standards Division, handles wage and hour complaints. You can contact Labor Standards at (651) 284-5005 or 1-800-342-5354 and file a complaint. Labor Standards will review your complaint and determine what action needs to be taken.

You can find more information at the DLI website.

What are my time deadlines?

If you have a wage/hour complaint in Minnesota, do not delay in contacting Labor Standards or an attorney. There are strict time limits in which wage claims must be filed. Most wage claims must be filed within two years. 

How can I or my attorney pursue a claim in court in Minnesota?

Employees can bring an action in court to recover unpaid wages, and attorneys’ fees and costs are recoverable, as well as liquidated damages in an additional equal amount of the unpaid wages.

State Labor Agency

St. Paul (Main Office)
443 Lafayette Road North
St. Paul, MN 55155
Phone: (651) 284-5005 or 1-800-342-5354
Workers’ Compensation Phone: (651) 284-5032

Minnesota OSHA and Workers’ Compensation
525 Lake Avenue South, Suite 330
Duluth, Minnesota 55802-2368
OSHA Phone: (218) 733-7830
OSHA Fax: (218) 725-7722
Workers’ Compensation Phone: (218) 733-7810
Workers’ Compensation Fax: (218) 723-2362